header

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Plays and Plans

The thin feeling of panic is creeping up on me. There are only three weeks left in lovely London, and I’m realizing there is so much I have left to do. I had smugly tucked away my touristy London guidebook, thinking that I had made the city my own. But these past few days I’ve been thumbing through it again. There is just so much to do here!

During my time here, I’ve discovered a real love for theater. When I see a good show, I can’t stop thinking about it for days, sometimes weeks. I get completely involved (for better or for worse). So, I’ve decided that it’s worthwhile to spend my summer saved money on theater for the rest of my stay here. I would like to see these productions before I leave: Les Miserable, The Snowman, Evita, and the Sound of Music. I would also love to see the Lion King and Billy Elliot, but I think we’ll have to see what my pocketbook can take (most likely not much more ha!).

Speaking of great theater, I was so lucky to see the musical Blood Brothers on Saturday! I am lucky for two reasons: 1) I got to see it with the Baker family! 2) I don't think they have it on Broadway, so it was a real treat to see it here. Blood Brothers is a moving play about twins separated at birth. I don’t want to ruin too much of the play, so I’ll leave it at that. The singers were really good, especially the narrator’s.

Afterward, I led the Bakers to Inn Noodle, that favorite place of Shann and mine. Mmmm. It was so good that I went back today, crying, as usual, over the spiciness of the hot and sour noodles.

Yay for seeing the Bakers!

Moving backwards, on Friday, Shann and I found this famous bangers and mash restaurant in Portebello Road. There is an assortment of sausages, mash, and gravy. All you have to do is choose how many sausages you would like (two or three?) and what kind of each. Shann and I both had two traditional sausages, with traditional mash and traditional gravy. To top it off, we had the restaurants “Eton pudding,” which was the house specialty. We weren’t sure what to expect, but it turned out to be a scrumptious mix of whipped cream with strawberries. Yum!

Adding to the list of things I would like to see before I leave:
• London Eye (there’s no way I’m going to miss it, Derek, I promise)
• Imperial War Museum
• Covent Garden Theater Museum
• Museum of London

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

no worries 'bout the Eye, noelle. just go find a way to hear capn' von trapp sing "edelweiss." crossing fingers for you.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home