header

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bloom and Grow Forever

Shann and I got into The Sound of Music!!!! HURRAH!

I called the box office a few times last week and was disappointed to discover that there were no tickets available through January. The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies, and the musical opened to shining reviews. The musical isn't on Broadway, so this was my chance.

Shann and I decided to show up an hour before the show to see if we could buy any return tickets. And thank God, they had two seats for us! Not only that, but they were some of the best seats in the house. The Palladium theatre--supposedly the most famous theater in the world and presently home to The Sound of Music--had two tiers. Shann and I got seats in the first row of the first tier, dead center. We could see the whole stage beautifully, without any obstructions. The distances wasn't too far to prevent us from seeing the actors' expressions either. The only downside was that the tickets weren't cheap...but we understood that tickets were rare and that this was an opportunity worth the money.

I believe it was worth every pence. Maria and Capt Von Trapp were especially marvelous. They had great singing voices. Maria sounded a lot like Julie Andrews! The kids were also impressive (and very cute) performers. I think the youngest member of the cast is six. So young, and yet she didn't show a stitch of nervousness.

I forgot how moving the story is. I especially liked the parts when Capt Von Trapp decides to spend more time with his children, when the whole family sings Eidelweiss, and when they all go over the mountain together. I've always enjoyed books that have connections to the world wars, for some reason. I don't like the wars themselves, but I suppose I am fascinated by the dire circumstances that test people's characters.

Anyway, all for now! Have to get up early to head out to pick up my parliamentary passes from the embassy and to go to the library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home